Santorini, oh Santorini! This place is something else. Picture this: the whole island is made from volcanic rock, and it’s got some of the most amazing sights you’ll ever see. There are houses inside caves, tall rugged cliffs, beaches with black and red sand, and even underwater caves to explore. And all of this awesomeness stands out against a backdrop of the bluest blue you can imagine – the Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean sky. It’s like a dream come true.
But guess what? There’s another special treat on this island, something that makes it even more incredible – hot springs! Thousands of people come to the hot springs in Santorini for their healing powers. So much so that these hot springs have become among the most popular sites to see when on the island.
Whether you want to explore the hot springs on your own or join one of the many Santorini hot springs tours available, you’re in for a treat. These hot springs are not just good for your body; they also give you some of the most stunning views of the island caldera and the wide-open sea. But hold on, there’s more to this story. In this article, I’m going to take you deeper into the world of hot springs in Santorini. I’ll uncover some hidden facts that not everyone knows about and I’ll show you how to get there and enjoy this natural wonder with all its healing properties.
Where to Find the Hot Springs in Santorini
So, here’s the scoop that only a few lucky travellers know about Santorini. The big volcanic crater in the middle of the caldera is actually a small group of volcanic islands called Nea Kameni and Palea Kameni. These islands were born after a series of massive volcanic eruptions back in the late 1500s. And guess what’s right around them? You got it – the hot springs in Santorini!
To reach these magical hot springs, you’ll want to head to Nea Kameni and Palea Kameni. Another fantastic option is to jump on a fancy cruise from Ammoudi Bay. This cruise will take you to the volcanic island of Thirassia, which is pretty awesome all by itself and totally worth exploring. Best of all the cruise makes a pit stop at the hot springs before you reach Nea Kameni. It’s like a bonus adventure!
Now, if you want the easiest and most relaxing way to get there, join one of the many Santorini Hot Springs tours. You’ve got options like boat tours, jet-ski tours, kayaking tours, SUP tours, and even Santorini volcano tours. Most of these tours start from either the Athinios Port or the old Fira Port. And hey, if you want to go all out, you can even request a private tour customised just the way you like it.
Fun Facts About the Hot Springs in Santorini
Okay, so you’re pumped about the hot springs in Santorini, but did you know these cool facts?
- Santorini’s volcanic activity might be the secret behind the special water around the island. In fact, lots of people with bone and arthritis issues say they feel much better after taking a dip in these waters.
- You’ll know you’re getting close to the hot springs when the colour of the sea starts changing. It goes from that deep cobalt blue to a kind of murky brown or reddish hue. But don’t panic; it’s just a sign that the water isn’t clear there. It’s because it’s a hot spring, and it’s got iron in it. When iron mixes with oxygen, it turns the water brown.
- You can see Nea Kameni island (and, of course, the hot springs) from almost every village around Santorini. It’s like a hidden gem right there in plain sight.
- The water in these hot springs stays warm at a comfy 30-35 degrees Celsius. That’s like having your own natural hot tub in the sea!
- People say that visiting the hot springs in Santorini can help with all sorts of health issues like muscle stiffness, arthritis, and even skin issues.
- Those volcanic craters hiding under Nea Kameni are still active. So, if you’re taking a relaxing bath and you see the water bubbling a bit, don’t freak out. It’s just nature doing its thing, and it helps scientists predict volcanic eruptions a few months in advance.
Before Visiting the Hot Springs in Santorini
Before you dive into the hot springs, here are some quick tips:
- The sulphur in these hot springs might change the colour of your bathing suit. So, don’t wear your fanciest one. You might want to bring an extra suit to slip into later, just in case.
- If you decide to hike up the famous Santorini volcano on Nea Kameni, be careful. Even though it hasn’t erupted in a while (over 60 years), it’s not totally snoozing. If you need info or assistance, just ask the friendly folks at Maison Des Lys Luxury Suites, one of the top 5-star hotels in Santorini.
Unwind in Greece’s Warm Waters
It’s time to unwind and treat yourself to the ultimate winter wellness experience in Greece – the hot springs in Santorini! It’s not just a dip; it’s an adventure that you’ll remember forever. So, go ahead, have a blast, and soak in all the natural beauty and healing powers of Santorini’s hot springs! For more wellness activities in Greece, here are the best healthy restaurants in Athens. Have a wonderful time!